Monday, March 1, 2010

Making a Mini Book




A number of years ago I received the sweetest little mini book from a fellow knitter I met online at a spinning/weaving/knitting site. It was entitled "An Irish Breakfast." If only I had her name and address somewhere, I would give her credit for that precious little gift. The cover paper was a combination of green and white polka dots and shamrocks, and on the inside she had stamped and colored different items from an Irish breakfast. It remains one of my favorite little treasures. There is nothing like giving and receiving handmade gifts. I decided to try to replicate it, but it was not as easy as it looked. Folding the poster board correctly was a challenge, and it took a lot of patience getting the cover papers to fit and seal properly. Then making the correct number of fan folds for the inside and folding them correctly really confused me. Being that I did not have any of the stamps, I had to sketch each of the little pictures by hand and then color them. After several attempts, I finally came up with a rough copy, but it was nothing like the one given to me. Still, I am happy with the way it turned out, and I hope my special friend gets a kick out of it. I have a lot of fun coming up with little things to include in goodie bags for my friends. The internet is overflowing with tutorials and no end of ideas that do not cost an arm and a leg and do not take so long to make. A good tutorial for making mini books is at LostButtonStudio.

No comments:

Post a Comment