Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Genie’s Thrifty Thursday Bargains

Boy, did I hit the jackpot this week!  I’m appalled at my finds and am already using some of them. It just tickles me so when a find a REAL bargain. Our antique mall was having a 25% off sale because of the big holiday so I even saved a bit more.
               Number 1:  Decorations for the Fourth of July - Total=$4.00 less 25%
I used the two Dr. Pepper bottles to hold some of the flowers out of my garden, and we ate pop corn from the holders while watching the fireworks on TV.                        

                                  Number 2:  Linens - Total=$3.00 less 25%
The lady that always has the cheap linens had brought in a few more, and once again I got each for $1.00 but this time less 25%.  Now I am up to 5 of them. She has larger pieces in squares and rectangles, but they are $8.00 so have left those for someone else.



                   Number 3: A tall box with a slide-up door - Total=$45.00 less 25%
I do not have a clue what this was used for, but i got it put store all my thread. Unfortunately I did not have any spools with me to measure by, so my son is going to need to make some modifications so the spools fit a bit better and do not fall out.  Still it is so much better than the boxes I was using before. You can see from the lower picture that the way the lip is constructed the small spools will fall out and the thicker one will not fit at all. Thank goodness the person who owned it made the door for the front that slide up and out.  That way it doesn’t look so messy and the spools stay in place. My husband thinks it was a room key box, but I don’t know if I buy that one or not. Anyone have any ideas? The price for this was $65.00, but I did my usual begging and pleading and got it down to $45.00 + the 25% discount.  I think it was a good deal for what I need it for.

                          
                               Number 4: Easel for Eloise...and it was FREE! 
I cleaned out some cabinets and was taking odds and ends to Goodwill but was so tired I decided to just go up to the dumpsters and leave the things there in their box. As I drove in I noticed a child’s double-sided blackboard/paint easel standing there just waiting for a taker.  I snatched it up for my Eloise, and then placed my box of freshly washed and ironed place mats, table linens, some clothes, and a bunch of cups and plates. Before I could drive away one of my former students drove in with her garbage. I rolled down my window and told her about the things. To make a long story short, she was just as happy to get my linens and dishes as I was to find the easel. I guess the saying is true ....One person’s trash is another person’s treasure.


6 comments:

  1. Genie,
    You are such a bargain shopper! I love the idea of the easel for Eloise. You're such a thoughtful 'baga'. ;-)
    I have no clue as to what the wood box was for previously but it looks like you have a good use for it. I'm not so sure about the room key idea???
    Stay cool....Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you sort-of agree with me on the “key” idea.....it is still too hot here for me but not as bad as it is in Richmond for Eloise. Hugs, Genie

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm, what a mystery box! The numbers make me think of embroidery floss....but Hmmm I would love to know what the box was for!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! What a GREAT suggestion....I will give it a look and see if the numbers correspond. The idea that the spools want to fall out or not fit makes the embroidery floss a good idea....Genie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you did great! My favs are the thread cabinet and easel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me, too, Rita! Thanks for the comment. Hugs, Genie

    ReplyDelete