Sunday, June 27, 2010

A Functionally Dysfunctional ME Monday Challenge

     Both my daughter and my BFF’s daughter have been social workers for years, so we have heard the word “dysfunctional” used over and over again in many, many conversations.  We are convinced the two of us are basically somewhat dysfunctional, but fortunately we are very happy dysfunctionals. We do not need to put the fun back into it because it never left! When I found this Mary Engelbreit  zipper bag in a local gift shop, I just had to have it.  I have used it for all kinds of things, but for the last few years it has been my carry-along embroidery bag.  Inside it I have room for a little plastic container for my floss, a needle holder, scissors, embroidery hoops, the design schematic for my 100 Blessing Sampler, and even more.  It really holds a lot to be so small, and at the present it contains everything I need to work on my 100 Blessings Sampler. Everytime I go out with it I always get a comment.  Guess there are a lot of folk out there that do not know about ME and all of her wonderful expressions.


     This afternoon, my 5 year old granddaughter who was visiting for the weekend wanted me to make Shrinky Dink necklaces with her so we got out the plastic, Sharpie markers, and started creating. She put on my reading glasses pretending she was 18 years old and a teacher while telling me she was going to sketch out what she was going to draw. She tickles me to death when she pops on my silly little reading glasses.


     By chance, this little bag just happened to be on the floor right beside where I was sitting on the sofa.  When I looked down and saw ME’s drawing of the girl in her hat and glasses, I started sketching her on my plastic....then Eloise started copying what I was doing.  So here you have it....hers is on the left and mine is on the right, and I think hers has much more personality and appeal than mine....it is just too so cute.  She was upset with me for not following the picture and neglecting to put the flower on he side, so she insisted adding her own yellow flower to the top of my girl’s hat...and when she and I are playing, what Eloise wants to do Baga lets her do!  They turned out pretty cute, but the most fun was just playing with her. They sure don’t come even the least bit close to looking like one of ME’s drawings.

"Grandmother-grandchild relationships are simple. Grandmas are short on criticism and long on love.”
~Author Unknown

8 comments:

  1. Not true...I knew what your shrinkie dink drawings were. Watch out Mary for the new budding artist.
    Love your "functional" ME bag, too...Hugs..Vicki
    ´*•.¸(´*•.¸♥¸.•*´)¸.•*´
    ♥•.*.Thank you.*.•♥
    ♥•.*.very much.*.•♥
    ¸.•*´(¸.•*´♥´*•.¸)´*•.¸

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs back to you!!!! Your “thank you very much” is just the CUTEST.....hugs, Miss Genie XOXOXOXOOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute bag........cuter granddaughter. Looks like some good granny play time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always have enjoyed this wonderful comment! And I love the throw!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy...I cannot take credit for the throw even though I quilt. I was in a Penny’s Store probably 15 years ago looking for a baby gift and brought home the little quilt....BUT I liked it so much I kept it and got another gift to give away! It has been washed tons of times and does not have a single rip in it anywhere....amazing! Genie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jan...I love the bag, but, yes, I love the granddaughter a whole lot more. She is my only g-daughter with 5 g-sons so you know the fun I have with her. Thanks for the comments....Genie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Genie!

    Your granddaughter is so adorable. My sweet one loves to put on my glasses and pretend too. In fact she's sitting right next to me as I type my comments, so I better be careful what I say! LOL

    I have this bag too and it never worked as a purse for me so I gave it to Baby Bee but she never used it either. But I never thought of it as a craft along bag. I just might have to start using it for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. USE IT!!! Everyone who sees it loves it just like I do. Plus, I always get a kick out of finding someone else that has what I have and likes it, too. I am still free and clear of Eloise reading my typing for a little bit longer, but I think children are just more “readable” than I was at their ages. 5 year olds continue to AMAZE me!!!!! Love your blog....and thanks for stopping by...a special thanks for all of your sweet comments. They mean a lot to this old gal.....XOXOXOXOXO Genie

    ReplyDelete