Tuesday, March 8, 2016

March 5, 2016 ~ Weezie and Genie in Purple ~ Art Journal

"Don't walk behind me: I may not lead.
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend."
~Albert Camus



These two girls represent my best friend, Weezie, and me. She and I have been best friends for 50 years, reared out children together, lived across the street from one another (I actually lived in the home in which she grew up), and now she is in an extended care facility with serious RA and after having had heart attacks, a stroke, and now she is having memory problems. My husband is taking me to see her Mar. 9 and 10 (it's too far for me to drive alone) because I an so afraid she could become more ill if I wait too long. These little pictures that I draw are my way of dealing with my sadness and a way to keep our happy times together alive and doing well. We were so close and our two families were like one extended family. She is the Godmother of my middle child, and he and his wife named their daughter, Eloise, for her. This little building reminds me of some of the flats in Cancun and in Ireland (two of our trips together) and San Juan. They were all painted pastel colors, had window boxes with flowers, and so very pretty. Many had the little balconies on the second floor.

Here are 2 photos of us...one taken as we were leaving for Ireland in 1996, and the other is the last photo I have of the two of us taken at the nursing home in early 2015.

 It is so hard to believe that this was taken almost 20 years ago.

This was taken at the nursing home in Asheville, NC.




1 comment: